WELCOME TO CRANBERRY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Learn. Live. Love.
We see our church not simply as a house of worship with walls, a roof and open doors. Rather, we believe that the church is actually all about people gathered and sent out to love and care for our nieghbors. Through Bible study, service, worship and missions, we grow closer to God and one another so that we can better share God's love with the world.
Everything we do at Cranberry is about fulfilling the vision we beleive God has for us:
All are welcome to join Cranberry UMC as we
Learn God's Word
Live God's Word
Love God's People
so that everyone will know Jesus!
ABOUT OUR CHURCH
Learn God's Word. Live God's Word. Love God's People.
So that everyone will know Jesus!
Cranberry United Methodist Church is a loving and welcoming community of faith with a rich and rooted history of serving its neighbors in love. Located in Aberdeen, Maryland, Cranberry is a part of the Baltimore-Washington Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church in the Baltimore-Suburban District. It is a part of the Cranberry-Presbury Cooperative Parish, in which we share a pastor with Presbury UMC and work together in ministry in a number of ways throughout the year.
Our church was founded in 1862 by a small group of believers from the Perryman area. They met in a one-room schoolhouse, 30 x 24 feet, hauled by 10 yokes of oxen from Sod Run (about two miles below town) to a site just south of the present location.
In 1865, The Methodist Church divided into two groups, Methodist Episcopal Church South and Methodist Episcopal Church North, due to the feelings over slavery. Cranberry Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized on June 13, 1866, with five Trustees John M. Taylor, Daniel Martin, James Numbers, Joseph Everist Taylor and Joseph Wells.
A tract called "James Park", originally "Cranberry Plantation", was deeded from Edward Griffith for $1.00 as a gift to the above Trustees. The deed read, "81 perches of land, more or less, measured by a stone in the middle of the road leading from Spesutia Church to Bush River Neck."
In 1866, the cornerstone was laid for a two-story wooden structure on the site of the present church. The first floor was used as a school and church services were held on the second floor.The two-story building existed until 1888 when a bazaar was held by members for the purpose of raising funds to tear down the old church and erect what is the present building. The present church had a belfry that was removed during a renovation in 1922-1926. In 1932, a stone wall and improved parking space were added.
The Methodist Episcopal Church North and South reunited in 1939, and in 1968 a new denomination - The United Methodist Church - was formed with the Evangelical United Brethren, which gave us our current name - Cranberry United Methodist. In 1964, an Army surplus building was purchased from Aberdeen Proving Ground and is now the Church School building.
Today Cranberry United Methodist Church is an active and vibrant worshipping community with thriving Sunday School and Music ministries, and heart for serving others. We are blessed to have a caring congregation that truly welcomes people with open hearts, minds, and doors.
Cranberry UMC, 9:00 AM
1632 Perryman Rd, Aberdeen, MD 21001